We offer a variety of psychological testing services for adults and children.
What is Psychological Testing?
The word test is often used, but is incorrect. A test has a right or wrong answer; however, the activities used for assessment purposes do not. For this reason, psychological assessment is a more appropriate term. A psychological assessment is conducted by a licensed professional, who has been trained and supervised in the particular area being evaluated. A number of mental health professionals can perform assessments, depending on the complexity of the questions being answered. Evaluations requiring personality and IQ testing should only be done by a licensed psychologist.
Here are the types of psychological assessments we can perform:
Employers, Municipalities, & Private Firms
- Evaluations to determine an employee's ability to effectively continue performing her/his current job functions (Fitness-for-Duty).
- Providing expert opinions regarding the validity of a diagnosis and level of impairment relative to one's ability to work.
- Evaluations of safety, healthcare, and legal professionals for pre and post employment review.
Individuals and Families
- Evaluations required prior to a surgical procedure.
- Evaluations for learning differences in children with exceptional IQ and special education needs.
- Psychological assessment related to questions regarding an individual's ability to parent his or her children.
- Psychological assessment for establishing or verifying a mental health diagnosis.
- Evaluation of an individual's capability of working and level of disability.
- Court ordered evaluations.
- Career interests and compatibility in various work environments.
What happens during a psychological assessment?
A psychological assessment may use information such as standardized evaluation tools, current problems, school or employment records, family functioning, personal and medical history, in addition to other information. This enables the psychologist to get an idea of what has been occurring in your life. In this process, you will be interviewed and asked to complete a number of tasks. The activities are based on the client and the question you need answered. When deemed necessary and you are first notified, I may also visit with and talk to others that can provide me additional information about your life. Psychological assessment is a flexible process with the goal of answering questions or issues through the collection, evaluation, and analysis of appropriate data.
Does Insurance Pay For Psychological Assessment?
This depends on the type of assessment, the policies of your insurance carrier, and our offices. In general, there are few types of assessments fully covered by insurance. Clients largely pay this expense out-of-pocket. Please contact our office for questions regarding fees and payment options.